Welcome to the City of Soldotna’s Building Safety Department. We hope this site will help you find the resources you need, including any applications, available resources, building safety code definitions and further requirements. Please don't hesitate to call us during the planning stages of your project - we can offer valuable, investment-saving insights and potentially speed up the development review process.
We are responsible for the review and inspection of all building construction projects within the city limits. The City of Soldotna along with our local fire department, Central Emergency Services, has a deferment from the State Fire Marshal’s office to perform this service to our residents. This deferment means the City of Soldotna shall act as the “authority having jurisdiction” according to this responsibility as used and defined within the building codes. Accordingly, we administer building permits for all residential, commercial construction projects, sheds/utility structures and fences over 6’ tall.
Modified Polices & Practices During the COVID-19 Pandemic:
The City of Soldotna Building Inspection Division is modifying policies and practices to comply with State and Federal mandates regarding the COVID-19 pandemic. At this time we remain committed to supporting our important community projects, and ask for your patience with inconveniences due to the new policies.
City Hall remains closed to the public and all building safety communication will need to be conducted electronically. The building official can be reached Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm, at 907-714-1233 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Building permit applications must be submitted electronically to email@example.com, permit applications are located at the following link:
Building Permit Application
- Inspection of occupied residential buildings will be conducted on an emergency basis only.
- Outdoor inspections will continue, with personal protective equipment (PPE) while practicing social distancing (6 foot separation of people).
- New residential and commercial inspections will continue, with PPE and social distancing.
- Video and photo evidence may be accepted for compliance at the Building Official’s discretion.
- Engineer field reports may be accepted for compliance.
- Inspection requests need to be scheduled at least 48 hours in advance.
- Plan review and permit turnaround time will be longer than usual. Please call to coordinate.
While there may be new challenges involved in these changes, please know that we are striving to serve the construction industry and recognize the importance of these projects to our community. The City continues to practice social distancing and use tools at our disposal to work remotely and help minimize the spread of COVID-19.