Building in Soldotna

The process for building or renovating structures inside the City of Soldotna includes:

To get started on a project, please contact the Building/Public Works or Planning Departments at your earliest convenience.  City staff will be able to guide you through the development process, identifying any key problems, issues, and opportunities before you have made valuable investments.

Contractor licenses and business licenses are administered solely through the State of Alaska Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development, in the Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing. For more information, please visit their website here: Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing (

The State of Alaska administers the review of all commercial construction outside city limits through its Regional Fire Marshal offices. Inspections (plumbing, electrical, elevator, boiler, etc.) and contractor licensing inspections for these projects are subject to the rules of the State of Alaska Department of Labor – Mechanical Section.  Residential projects outside of the City limits are typically inspected by private licensed inspector contractors and typically no permit is required.

The City of Soldotna’s Certificate of Occupancy is acceptable to most mortgage companies as a replacement for Alaska Housing Finance Corporation’s required PUR102 form (summary of building inspections).