Early literacy skills are one of the greatest gifts that can be given to a child. Parents can start reading to their child at any time and at any age. Reading aloud lays the foundation for language skills and young imaginations. Even better, reading together is a shared experience that builds a child’s self-esteem, a parent’s confidence, and lifetime family bonds.
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
Soldotna Public Library’s 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program is a fun, exciting, and free way to start your child on the path to success! Any child ages birth to five years can participate.
- Register: Sign up at the Soldotna Public Library. Pick up program materials at the library.
- Track Your Reading: Fill in a star or write down each book you read with your child on your reading record.
- Every Book Counts: Even if your child wants to hear the same book again and again, you can count it each time. You can also count the books your child hears in storytime, in daycare or preschool, or with a friend or family member, as long as your child listens to the entire book.
- 125-Book Milestones: Each time you read 125 books, bring your reading record to the library to receive a special reward. Take home a new reading record for your next 125 books.
- 1,000 Books: You did it! Come celebrate at the library, see your child’s name placed on the 1,000 Book Wall of Fame, and receive a free book.
- Keep on Reading: Don’t stop at 1,000! Keep on reading together; there’s more learning ahead!
Singing songs, saying rhymes, telling stories, and playing with your child are all great ways to build their literacy skills. Visit Soldotna Public Library often for free programs that are fun and educational for your little one and to find great books to share with your child.
One thousand books may seem like a lot, but if you read just one book a night, you’ll meet your goal in less than 3 years. If you read three books a night, you could reach your goal in just one year! Ask our friendly staff for suggestions—we’re here to help you on your journey to 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten!