Apply online now to access all our online resource!
Come in once we reopen to finalize your application
and pick up your physical card!
The library issues free library cards to residents* of the State of Alaska who do not already have a card in the Joint Library Catalog system. All applicants may apply for and receive a card, and borrow library materials on the same visit if they provide a phone number or email and present acceptable identification** and proof of current address.***
Children under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardian sign their application form and present identification and proof of current address. Please see our full circulation policy for more information.
*DETERMINATION OF RESIDENCY
A person is considered a resident of Alaska if the person:
1. is physically present in the state with the intent to remain in the state indefinitely and to make a home in the state;
2. is not claiming residency in another state, territory, or country
(Modified from Alaska Statute 16.05.415)
3. Valid Out-of-State Driver's License.
4. State of Alaska personal identification card.
5. Military Identification Card.
6. School issued student ID.
7. Alien Registration Card.
8. Employer Picture ID.
9. Other government-issued photo ID (including photo ID’s issued by other countries).
**PROOF OF ADDRESS
The following are acceptable proof of address:
1. Current mail with name and address of patron or parent/legal guardian of patron (if minor) on it.
3. Lease Agreement or rent receipt (dated within the last 30 days).
4. Current vehicle registration.
5. Current voter’s registration.
6. Bills, pay stubs, etc., printed or on an electronic device (e.g., smart phone, tablet).
TYPES OF LIBRARY CARDS
Adult Cards—patrons ages 18 and up
Minor Cards—patrons birth-17 years
Senior Cards—patrons 65 and older
Alaska residents* may apply for a temporary card if they cannot provide proof of address, but have a photo identification** when signing up for their library card. Temporary cards expire after 3 weeks. Patrons must return with proof of address*** to change a temporary card into a permanent card.
Out-of-state visitors may apply for and purchase a Visitor card. A valid photo ID is required. Visitor cards expire 180 days (6 months) after the date of issue. Visitors shall pay a $25 nonrefundable fee when they are issued a library card.